Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Is It Cos I Is British?

Being a conscientious sort I decided to donate blood over here as I have done in the UK since I was a mere slip of a lad. The following is my actual conversation with the NZ Blood Service.

Jimbo- Hi there, I have recently moved over from the UK where I was a regular blood donor and would like to check my eligibility to donate here in NZ.

Operator- Ok, that’s great. I’ll just check. (Goes away) Yep, that seems fine. I just need to ask you are you between 16 and 60.


Jimbo- Yep.

Operator- Do you weigh over 50kg.

Jimbo- Yes.

Operator- Do you currently have any sore throat, stomach bug, colds or infection or have you had tattoos or or piercings in the last 6 months?

Jimbo- Let me just check. Nope.

Operator- Have you lived in the UK for more than six months between 1980 and 1996?

Jimbo- Yes. I’m from the UK as I said earlier.

Operator- Ah. Er, I’m afraid that rules you out of giving blood in NZ.

Jimbo- Right, wouldn't that have been your first question when I said I was from the UK?

Operator- Er, well...the screen says...

Jimbo- Never mind, mate. Ok. Do you know why that is?

Operator- Why it wasn't my first question?

Jimbo- No. Why I can't donate blood if I have lived in the UK? I mean, were we at war with NZ or something?

Operator- I’m afraid I don’t. Hold on. (Disappears to discover why). No, sorry, I've asked around and we’ve no idea.

Jimbo- Ok, guess that just about wraps it up for me.

Operator- Thanks for calling. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Jimbo- What like, exactly?

Operator- Er...

Jimbo- No, that’s great…thank you.

(click)

3 comments:

  1. Never mind its their loss - there is obviously no call for British Blue Blood - I wonder why they say we are blue bloodied - I am sure yours will be red also - it is is'nt it?

    ReplyDelete